Garden Wildlife Photo Challenge

Friday, May 26, 2006

Species 21 - Pimpla Instigator

OK, so I'll admit here and now that I'm not certain this is actually the species named. It's definitely an ichneumon wasp of the genus Pimpla, but it may not be instigator, BUT this is the closest species I can find. As it makes for an interesting picture I thought i'd post this anyway and return at a later date if it turns out to be a related species. Part of the problem is that I haven't been able to find an image of a male instigator, only females. If anyone out there knows what it really is then let me know.

This one has set itself up with a little territory on a Dock leaf just near the pond. It was there over some period. If he manages to attract a female then watch out any caterpillars in the vicinity!





















Bumblebees - 2
Other bees - 1
Moths - 1
Amphibians - 1
Plants - 7
OtherFlies - 2
Hoverflies - 1
Molluscs - 1
Beetles - 1
Spiders -1
Centipedes - 1
Ladybirds - 1
Wasps - 1

GWP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter