Garden Wildlife Photo Challenge

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Species 41 - Swollen Thighed Beetle

The second I saw this beetle I knew this was the one for today. However it took me a long time until I worked out the species and that's because at first I was looking at a female, which doesn't have the swollen thighs. I subsequently spotted the male, which does. This one is feeding on pollen, just as they are described to do. I'm starting to get impressed by the amount of diversity that can be found even in a small urban garden such as ours. I should start to take bets on the total number I will eventually reach.


Swollen-thighed Beetle (Oedemera nobilis)























Scores (how the 41 species so far break down by group)

Bees - 5
Moths - 2
Amphibians - 1
Plants - 10
OtherFlies - 2
Hoverflies - 5
Molluscs - 1
Beetles - 6
Spiders -1
Centipedes - 1
Wasps - 1
Butterflies - 3
Dragonflies - 1
Birds - 2


GWP - copyright GWP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter